History of the brand BFGoodrich
The logo of BFGoodrich tyre brand
The story of BFGoodrich begins in 1870 in the town of Akron, Ohio, where Dr Benjamin Franklin Goodrich, a military surgeon from the time of the civil war, set up North America’s first rubber factory together with a small laboratory. In the following decade the factory produced its first car tyre. In honour of its founder, who died in 1888, the firm took the name BFGoodrich Rubber Company. In 1896, at the request of the Winton Automobile Company of Cleveland, the factory gained an order for the production of tyres for the new Winton car, which was manufactured in small numbers. Seven years later the first car to cross the whole of the United States did so on BFGoodrich tyres.
BFGoodrich was helped on its journey to the bigtime by the dynamic expansion of the motor industry concentrated around Detroit. Factories in the newly developing “Motown” were the main customers for BFG products. In 1903 Henry Ford chose that brand of tyres for his première Model A.
One of the first BFGoodrich adverts
BFGoodrich crosses the Atlantic
BFGoodrich’s bosses soon decided to extend their influence to the European market, and in 1910 opened their first tyre production plant on the other side of the ocean, in Colombes near Paris. The ...
Read more >